WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service, one of the largest single employers of professional accountants, is now hiring 470 revenue agents who will specialize in auditing or examining both individual and business taxpayers nationwide.
Known officially as Internal Revenue Agents, these positions are at Grades 5-12 in the federal civil service system with a base pay ranging from $31,083 to $68,299.
New hires will join the agency’s Small Business Self Employed (SB/SE) division, where they will combine talents in accounting and tax law to examine and determine the correct tax liability for a variety of both individual and business taxpayers, including sole proprietorships, small corporations, partnerships, and fiduciaries. They will also be responsible for identifying potential fraud, tax schemes and abusive tax shelters.
To qualify for one of these positions, an applicant must have a Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that includes:
- At least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting, or
- 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance, or
- A combination of experience and education or a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant.
Throughout July, The IRS is holding a series of virtual Information Sessions for interested applicants. These sessions provide an overview of the position, benefits of working at the IRS, how to apply for the position, and a Q&A session. Here is the schedule:
- July 14, 2022 – 3:00PM (ET)
- July 18, 2022 – 1:00PM (ET)
- July 21, 2022 – 3:00PM (ET)
- July 25, 2022 – 3:00PM (ET)
To attend any of these events, register at USAJOBS - Events.